Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Course in Stress Management


For those of you who are anything like me, you become stressed out, quite frequently. Unfortunately, my Type A personality doesn't help this. However, because of this disorder of mine, I must try and work with it everyday. I know that I will never become completely stress free, therefore, I have found some remedies to help with this.

1. Have a routine
Having a routine allows your body to form a pattern and a schedule. This helps with your biological clock.
2.Get a full 8 hours of sleep
It has been proven that getting the reccomended 8 hours of sleep can eliminate stress, assure you are well rested, and according to an article that I read last year, help you lose up to 10 pounds over the course of a year or two. Who doesn't love that?
3. Find a way to focus on yourself
I.E: journal, meditate, shower at the end of the day (rinse away all the problems from that day), or read a good book are all positive ways to transfer your negative/ anxious energy a.k.a. stress!
4. Enjoy the wonderful world of Aromatherapy
I have begun to love "Stress Free" body washes with the scent of mint leaves, eucalyptus, and pine trees. My favorite product right now is my pillow spray from Bath & Body Works with a scent of Warm Milk & Honey! Sprayed on my pillow and sheets a few minutes before I hit the sack does wonders.
5. Sitting back and looking at the situation
I know that for me, lately, stress has been affecting my sleep. I lay in bed with a thousand things on my mind, and unfortunately some of my greatest ideas for things come to me at this moment. I know keeping a notepad by the bedstand allows me to write down whatever is on my mind and focus on getting a good nights rest. However, what I mean by "sitting back and looking at the situation" is stepping back and not saying anything about a current situation you are in. Instead, think about your situation from a neutral parties' opinion. Sometimes, it helps me see what's really important.

So many things in life we take for granted, and until they are gone we assume they will always be there. I can honestly tell you that this is something I have been working on for a few years now and with the absence of hot water in my shower for 1 week, last year, and still sometimes this year, I do not even take hot water for granted. :) I encourage and challenge all of you to find out what you are taking for granted and try and change the way you look at things. Also, in terms of your stress, relax! Life is too short to spend it stressed out. Don't sweat the small stuff and know that you're not alone, because chances are, whatever you are stressed about will somehow "work out" in the end.

I know, I know, I'm calling the kettle black, but still sometimes I find it's good to remind myself about some techniques and to remind others. Everybody needs somebody! We're all stressed out. Don't worry you're not alone.

For now...
take care, love Blair

No comments: