Thursday, September 2, 2010

Can a Single Girl Really Have it All?

Shoes. The apartment. The boy. The job. The family. The life...can a girl REALLY have it all? Or when we find certain things of interest, do we neglect or disregard the others?

I was walking around my new neighborhood and came across the CUTEST shoes and after gazing my hazel eyes into those glass display cases and seeing the most beautiful and most fun shoes, I started to think about needs, wants, desires, passions, etc.

We were taught in elementary school that we have 4 basic needs: shelter, food, clothing, and love.  While at FIT, I was taught that to be in fashion your basic needs become a bit altered.  For example:

Shelter-an apartment in Manhattan you can barely afford
Food- sushi, Thai, any seafood, any 5 star restaurant will do
Clothing-Balenciaga, vintage YSL, a Marc Jacobs tote, skinny jeans, and Christian Louboutin
Love-a rich older man to provide all of the above.
(marry for money, you can learn to love)--just kidding

After thinking about these for a while it made me start to ponder the thought of being single in a city.  Post graduation at Purdue, my best friends and I all moved miles away from each other in pursuit of accomplishing our dreams.  Where did we end up? Large cities where we knew very few people upon our arrival.

As a single girl in the city it's interesting to think about the fact that someday I'm going to find a man and get married.  Someday (hopefully VERY SOON) I will find a job and have a career and be more than "Blair Burkholder a recent graduate of Purdue University."  Someday I will become a mother and start a family with that man who I married and raise my children implicating the same morals my parents instilled in me, and I MAY actually have to become domestic! (scary thought).  Anyways, I'm sure you have all thought about your future and what is to come of it and or what it will bring.  The people you meet now may someday have an affect on your life in the future.  Weird.  It's crazy how life works out.  We are all put here with a purpose and it's just one crazy ride figuring out what that purpose really is. What we really need to do is just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Because who really wants to know what's coming next?

just some food for thought...
-blair     

I leave you with the "Ultimate Single Girl" Miss Carrie Bradshaw
        

No comments: