Thursday, October 14, 2010

explanation to my absence






Wow! It's crazy to think I've been in New York City now for 6 weeks now! The past month has been one of the craziest months of my life.  I don't even know where to begin.  I think I'll start by just picking up where I left off..(Thursday, September 9, 2010)

That night upon leaving Starbucks I met up with a friend, who introduced me to the hiring manager of a website that is trying to promote themselves throughout the sports/bar industry in New York.  That following Monday, I ended up meeting with the head of the company and receiving a part-time job as a Brand Ambassador with Blood, Sweat, & Cheers.

The Wednesday following, (September 15, 2010) I was to the point in this job process where I just wanted to give up.  Don't get me wrong, I wanted to give up way earlier also, but not this bad.  After becoming frustrated, gathering up enough strength to call a couple friends (who basically told me to suck it up  because this is what I was meant to do), and the saying a few prayers...I got a phone call.  A phone call that has changed my life.  As I think about it now, I begin to tear up, because the desperate emotions of trying to make it and survive in this city were so intense.  Anyways, it was Macy's and they had 3 positions open and wanted to contact me about one of them.    Long story short, I had a phone interview and then they wanted to bring me in on Friday.  Went in for the interview and within 30 minutes of walking home I received the phone call asking me if I wanted to accept the offer! MORE THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY KNOW!!!!!!!  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  The woman that interviewed me absolutely loved me! I was so glad to hear that! It had been so long since I had heard something good in regards to a job! AND NOW I HAD ONE!!! I was scheduled to start on September 27, 2010 at Macy's.com in the Young Men's division as a Merchandise Assistant.  
A week later, I started my first shift with Blood, Sweat, & Cheers.  It was so much fun! I got to tour the bars of the East Village and ask drunk people for their signatures and e-mail addresses.  Easy Peasy. 

Following my first day with Macy's.com I have become so excited about my job that it's sickening.  People just don't love their jobs like I do.  I've always grown up in a home where a job was also called work.  Something you went to everyday and it was not fun!  Everyday during my first week was even better than the last, and I was literally running on pure adrenaline.  I would leave and couldn't WAIT to get back there the next day! 

The next step in the journey was now finding an apartment.  It was time for the next month's rent to be paid at my current residence, instead of paying for another month I decided it was time to move on.  That Friday I pack up half of my belongings and SHOVED them into my large suitcase in which I took to work and is now sitting underneath my desk until I was able to find a place of my own.  Later that day, after work, I moved my stuff from the middle of 15th street to 1st Ave, where I would be staying with three lovely individuals, whom I have now begun to call my family.  I couldn't thank them enough for allowing me (the 4th roommate) to pile my things in a small corner and move in with them.  I will never forget the night right before I moved to Kelly's...sitting on my "makeshift bed" and crying non-stop because i had never felt so scared in my life and was now technically "homeless."  At that point, I had begun the search for an apartment, but it was kind of put on hold with things.  I really wasn't sure where things were going to take me in the next couple of days.

But I guess that's the fun in it, right? What would life be like if we knew everything that was to come next.  It would kind of be like we were living as characters in a fictional novel.  Nothing would be a surprise, and just with that, think about all of the time that you have been surprised...To me, it's probably one of the best feelings.  One quality about myself that I love, is my ability to find, appreciate, and LOVE the little things in life.  I even get excited about Happy Meals, because I can request a toy for a girl and then end up giving it away to a little kid that I see/know.  :)  

That's all for now...blair

No comments: