Friday, March 4, 2011

What Happened to Personal Communication?

The newest edition to the Apple family...the iPad2.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for texting, instant messaging, e-mailing, Facebooking, etc, but when it comes to technology it sometimes rubs me the wrong way when I hear about new updates.  I think more than anything it just makes me sad to think that our society has become so consumed with the fact that new technology is always coming out.  Everyone wants to have the latest and the greatest.  What kind of message does it say when we see those who are struggling and are on food stamps but are carrying their iPhone 4G?  Shouldn't they put the $30+/month into food for their kids instead of the latest and the greatest?  

What will our communication styles be like in 10 years? First it was the telephone.  Then came the internet and remember when instant messaging started...AOL, MSN...and then Myspace emerged...creating the FACEBOOK travesty.  I call this a travesty because immediately upon checking my personal e-mail I go straight to Facebook.  Like I can't wait for the next status update or I secretly want to look at the pictures of the newest baby being born.  (Being from the midwest most of the people I know are now getting engaged, getting married, and then having babies). It has become one big baby book...filled with pictures of kids dressed up in cute animal hats.  Believe me! I am extremely guilty of this; I am constantly on Facebook and have been checking it religously for the past 5 years since I was accepted into college and received a college e-mail address.  It used to be only accessible to those who were in school.  Now anyone and everyone has it.  I almost respect people more for not having it. 

With all this technological communication I have become a huge fan of handwritten letters.  As a sucker for anything Papyrus I love the satisfaction and joy I receive knowing I will brighten one of my friend's days with a handwritten letter; telling them how much I appreciate them or just that I love them and I am so glad they are in my life.  So as I step off my soapbox, please note I am definitely not opposed to the newest technology, but think that it would be nice if our world focused more on what we have rather than what we want.  Even if more people texted less and talked more...I think that would be a huge step!  

for now...
Blair

No comments: