Sunday, November 14, 2010

New Beginnings




So November 1st, I finally found my own place and moved to Queens.  I am so excited because I am now the proud owner of a set of keys to an apartment that I can actually call my own.  After four years of living in a dorm room or sorority house I was ready to find a place that allowed me to have an entire room dedicated to me, with a door that I could shut if I wanted to.  I signed a lease, put down way too much money for deposits and first month's rent, and was on my way to becoming what one calls “an adult.”  I know I’ve said it before, but it’s still crazy to me when I look back on everything that has happened in the past two months of my life, let alone what my thoughts were upon moving to NYC. First off, I never thought I’d actually be living in Queens.  I used to be so opposed to living anywhere but the city, but knowing what I could spend on rent and what my monthly expenses would be, I knew I needed to find an alternate area.

I specifically moved to Astoria, which is a more residential area than I would normally like, but it’s safe, easy, and quiet. Yesterday I had the opportunity to go running again.  I went to the park and came across a peaceful area by the water that I could run past.  There were lots of families out on the playground with their kids.  Over and over again I am noticing that Astoria is more of a family neighborhood, than anything else.  There isn’t much interruption or tons of people, so taking walks on the sidewalk are a little less chaotic than they would be in the city. 
I found a gym one subway stop away from mine that I can go to.  They offer a really great Pilates class that I have recently started attending.  The gym is only a few blocks from the subway station so it’s convenient.  I also have access to the gym close to my office so I can go workout after a long day at the office.  

My roommate is a girl that I work with and we've been getting along really well.  She's from Florida and works in the Kids department on the same floor that I do.  She and I have had lots of fun trying to get our new home decorated and put together.

After moving into the home, we each have been sleeping on an air mattress, which isn't the most attractive bedding or comfortable, for that matter.  

In two weeks my bed is supposed to arrive.  Soo excited.  My new life is coming together, slowly but surely.  

No comments: