Saturday, January 22, 2011

Only 1 Borough

Living in Manhattan for a little over 4 months now I have become accustomed to the lifestyle and layout.  Being busy is the norm, north is up, south is down, and the NQR is NEVER RUNNING PROPERLY!

Despite the inconvenient train system that I am required to take, to get back home, I have also, unfortunately, come up with a phrase in which I have begun to say quite often.

"To me, there is only one borough!"

New York City, for those of you who may not be the most familiar, is made up of 5 boroughs:  Manhattan, Queens, The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.  I live in Queens.  Living in Queens is a challenge.  It's uptown and pretty far away from where I like to play.  I really like my apartment and I love my roommate.  (Maybe one of the easiest people I've ever lived with) But I have developed a pure dislike for Queens.  

Please note: the following text is all just my opinion!

The thing about Queens is that when mentioned to others everyone brings up how good the food is there.  Peaceful, quiet, friendly, neighborly, and spacious are all adjectives that are used when describing Queens.  However, my experience has been the opposite.  I am normally a very positive person, but when I'm passionate about something you will know and I am definitely passionate about how I feel towards Queens.

First off, it's just not for me.  I went from living in the East Village for 2 months to moving uptown and to a completely different borough.  I used to have the ability to brunch at the drop of a hat, walk down the street at any time of the night, take various routes, in the city, while running and explore completely new neighborhoods.  But in Queens... it's completely different.

Everyone is Greek and has lived there for over 20 years.  My neighbors are over the age of 75 and have nothing better to do than stare out their window wondering when I will return home after a long stressful day at work.  I guess a safe neighborhood is translated to: neighbors who choose to stalk you.  I find it humorous that my roommate and I have lived in our apt for 2 months now and since then have been in trouble for having our friends come over.  Apparently, we aren't to have visitors more than 1 TIME A WEEK.  

NOW, don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!! I couldn't be any happier and I am just thriving on the energy this city gives me daily.  The lifestyle I have chosen is one that I had only dreamed of for so long, but I have to say, my living situation right now is quite interesting.  I am apologizing in advance for my negativity, but I will definitely be posting more often, in the near future, about how crazy my landlords are and the current living situation in Queens.  :)


Consider it just a part of my crazy vicarious life!

For now...
Blair

1 comment:

Miyan said...

An interesting read =) I've never really understood the differences in living in all those areas of NY...

Miyan

www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com