Monday, January 10, 2011

A New Year, A New Start, A New Beginning

Well the new year is here and with it come the new resolutions. However, I've never been one to make "resolutions".  I mean, what's the point? Every time people make them, they just end up breaking them after a couple weeks of diligence.  I don't get it.  Why even make them?

For myself, I choose to create goals instead of resolutions.  A goal is a little more challenging than a resolution.

GOAL:: the end toward which effort is directed : 


A goal must encompass a beginning point, a checkpoint in the middle, and an evaluation at the end.  You set your goal, continue to work towards it and then in the middle of the process, step back and evaluate how close you are to achieving your goal.  Once the time has come for your goal to reach fruition you must check yourself on how well you accomplished the goal.  


For example:  My goal in 2010 was to begin this blog.  I had to laugh at myself at the time because I never would have thought I would have been able to continue to post as frequently as I did.  I ended up averaging out at 52 posts.  That is a post/week!  I was so proud.  I had 10 followers and I know that various people in my life have read my blog and become touched by the words I have written.  I'm not trying to sound boastful, by any means, this is just me expressing my thoughts on how happy I am to have had the ability to see where this blog has taken me and the people around me.  


2011 is here now and I will be 24 this year! Now, if you know me at all, you would know that I am beyond excited to turn 24.  To me, 24 is after 23.  When you're 23 you have recently began your new life, post college, and people can often times consider you "young and naive."  24 is an age before 25 so your 20s are not quite yet half over, and then you kind of really have to become an adult.  BOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGG!!!! I admit, yes, sometimes I want to/do act older than I am, but I feel like at 25 real things in life start taking place.  24 is just a nice happy medium.  It's just right.  But with my age of 24, comes the opportunity for me to accomplish a goal I have had for quite some time now.  I have wanted to run a race before I'm 25.  Well I will be 25 NEXT April and it might be too late by then.  My friend asked me to run in the 13.1 half marathon, taking place in Chicago, IL on June 5th, 2011.  I ACCEPTED.  I have now decided to run in a half marathon with three other girls who are all training in Indianapolis, IN.  I am in NYC and am committing myself to diligent gym attendance in hopes of building up my endurance for this half marathon.  1 week has indeed gone by and so far so good.  I am back into running and it feels AMAZING! Today I was even able to hit the pavement and ended up running twice the distance/time than I expected.  


Besides spending two straight weekends sick, 2011 has been incredible, thus far.  I know it's only going to fly by and I'm more than excited to soak up every minute of it.  "Oh the places you'll go!"


Farewell for now,
Blair

No comments: